In its second year, the Great Lakes Aquascaping Championship is an aquatic gardeners association sanctioned event. There will be two tank size classes to compete in – the large tank (50g) “Live” competition and the standard tank (15g) competition. The event is held in conjunction with Wisconsin Public Television’s Garden Expo and is an educational event designed to promote and showcase the hobby of aquatic gardening. It will be held Feb. 9-11, 2018 at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison, WI.
There are two contest categories:
Standard tank category:
- Registration includes a generous 15-gallon aquarium and equipment package provided by Aqueon, one event t-shirt, and a weekend pass to the Garden Expo all for only $100.
- 20 available spots
- Prizes for 1st-5th place
Large tank “Live-Design” category:
- 6 available spots
- Submit a photo of an aquascape you have completed as part of your application. Large tank applications are due by November 30th. Applications will be assessed by our application review committee to ensure applicants have a basic understanding of aquascaping concepts. Final selection for the 6 spots will be by random draw of all qualified applicants.
- Large tank “Live-Design” contestants will be provided with one event t-shirt, 2 weekend Garden Expo passes, a generous 50-gallon aquarium and equipment package provided by Aqueon, a rock and driftwood package provided by Segrest Farms, and a complete plant package. Large tank “Live-Design” contestants may use no rock, driftwood, or plants other than what is provided to complete their aquascape.
- There are two registration “tiers” for selected contestants to choose from
- $100 to compete only (do not keep any of the equipment or aquascaping package) or
- $250 all inclusive (includes entry, equipment, and aquascaping package)
- Prizes for 1st-3rd place
Large tank “Live-Design” Contestants must submit a photo of an aquascape they have completed as part of their application. Large tank applications are due by November 30th. Applications will be assessed by our application review committee to ensure applicants have a basic understanding of aquascaping concepts. Final selection for the 6 spots will be by random draw of all qualified applicants.
NOTE: Parking is NOT included in entry fees.
Wisconsin Public Television’s Garden Expo is a midwinter oasis for people ready to venture out and dig their hands in the dirt. Now in its 25th year, this three-day event celebrates the latest trends in gardening, landscaping and edibles, and attracts more than 20,000 people from across the Midwest. Join other gardening enthusiasts to share ideas, gain inspiration and create something new. All proceeds support Wisconsin Public Television.